FIRST POSITIVE COVID-19 CASE AT PLUMAS DISTRICT HOSPITAL –CLARIFICATION
Early in the day, April 4, 2020, Plumas District Hospital (PDH) identified its first positive COVID-19 case. Understandably, the report of our first positive
case has caused concern about patient and employee personal safety. With this in mind, we believe it is prudent to provide additional clarification
without going so far as to compromise patient privacy.
When designing COVID-19 response plans, we have taken every precaution to ensure the ongoing safety of our patients, staff and community. After review
of this case today, we want to reassure our staff and the community that our internal process worked as intended. The drive-up process allows healthcare
staff to perform COVID-19 testing outside the hospital and clinic facilities, limiting potential contact with staff and other patients.
We are pleased to report that in this case our drive-up testing process was successful. The steps are as follows:
1. The symptomatic patient called the hospital and subsequently underwent a phone triage process by a qualified and trained registered
2. The same day, the patient spoke with a staff physician who determined testing was appropriate.
3. The same day, the physician tested the patient while the patient remained in their own private vehicle.
4. The physician wore appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
5. The patient did not leave their vehicle and did not come in contact with other PDH staff.
6. The patient returned home with instructions to maintain quarantine which was already self-imposed.
We would like to take this time to reiterate how important it is to CALL FIRST! If you are showing any sign of possible COVID-19 symptoms, please do
not come into a clinic or hospital. Contact us first at 530-283-5640. You will be directed to our dedicated COVID-19 Nurse Line. If you meet testing
criteria, you will be directed to our testing site which may include not leaving your house or your vehicle.
What about other health care needs?
We are still caring for patients who have acute care needs, such as illnesses, injuries or required monitoring. If you’re scheduled for an appointment,
be assured that our facility is safe. We will notify you if anything changes.
We also have other options for care that don’t require a visit to the clinic:
1. Message your care team through your HealtheLife patient portal account. Click here for full details, including a self-enrollment
2. Call our Scheduling department at 530-283-5640 and ask for a phone visit.
To protect our patients and staff, we are restricting visitors while there is a threat of COVID-19 transmission.
Stop the spread of germs
Help prevent the spread of COVID-19:
1. Practice physical distancing
2. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
3. Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth
4. Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue then throw the tissue in the trash
5. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces including door knobs and cell phones
6. Stay home, except to get medical care or necessary supplies
To stay informed about what we are doing at Plumas District Hospital follow us on Facebook and check out our website at www.pdh.org.